Of the many movies to enjoy during Christmastime, Elf happens to top our list. This 2003 flick follows Will Ferrell as Buddy, an adopted elf who heads to the city to find his father and spreads Christmas cheer in the process.
“We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup.” - Buddy sure likes them sweet, including his coffee. In our favourite scene, he accidentally adds copious amounts of alcohol to his mug, mistaking the flask for syrup. Hilarity ensues, complete with a tickle fight and a table jig.
Buddy’s little mailroom accident inspired us to create our take on an Irish Coffee, made sweeter and more in tune with the Holidays. We’re calling this very special Christmastime recipe Buddy’s Elfish Coffee.
Buddy talks about elvish food groups, and adds alcohol to his coffee
Maple Whipped Cream:
- 200ml of heavy or whipping cream
- 20ml of maple syrup
- 50g or ml of espresso (brewed from 2 capsules, around 25g or ml each)
- 30ml Bourbon Whisky (or any dark liquor you fancy)
- 30g Maple Syrup
- 2tsp pecans, chopped and salted
- Start by preparing the maple whipped cream. Combine 200ml of heavy cream and 20ml of maple syrup in a cream whipper, and charge with a single Nitrogen canister. Chill for at least two hours (or preferably overnight) before using. If you do not have a cream whipper, you can whisk the ingredients together by hand, and use a spoon to add the cream to the drink later on. This amount is good for two to three drinks.
- Combine the espresso, bourbon, and maple syrup. Stir well and pour mixture into serving cup.
- Top with maple whipped cream.
- Garnish with chopped pecans.
- Make two more for friends or family, and enjoy the warmth and fuzzies together.
Merry Christmas, everyone!
Recipe by Jon Choi @theheadbean