Vader and Luke. Han and Kylo. The Mandalorian and Grogu (aka Baby Yoda). There is probably no stronger theme running through Star Wars media than the one of Fatherhood. While part of the drama is in the dysfunction between our heroes and their fathers (or father figures), we enjoy watching their journeys to redemption - a balance in The Force, if you will. Inspired by this galaxy far, far away is this special Father’s Day edition of Morning Renditions.
Spoiler alert from 1980: Darth Vader’s a daddy!
Father’s Day is all about Dad and the Dad-figures in our lives, and boy do we have a recipe that’s fit for this weekend’s chosen one. Perfect for the arid climate of Luke’s home planet, this coffee cocktail is strong, refreshing, and a whole lot of fun. No need to take the speeder to the cantina - cause we’ve got you covered with the Tatooine Tiki Shooter.
For this recipe, we’re using Morning’s very versatile Bread & Butter capsules. It’s sweet and full-bodied, and reminds us of a robust dark rum, which makes it the ideal coffee component for this Tiki-inspired beverage. If you are pulling these shots on the Morning Machine, simply use the capsule’s recommended recipe on the companion app for a precise brew.
Tatooine Tiki Shooter
- 100g Coconut Milk
- 100g White Sugar
- Blue Pea Flowers (optional, but remember that Bantha milk is blue!)
- Pinch of Salt
- 25g or ml of Coffee (short black/espresso)
- 45ml Pineapple juice
- 30ml Orange juice
- 15ml Bantha Milk
- 45ml Rum (we used Diplomatico Blanco, a white rum)
- 5ml Falernum (optional)
- Grated Nutmeg
- Pineapple Leaves
- Blue Pea Flower
- Start by making some Bantha Milk! This comes together quite easily - simply combine all the ingredients into a saucepan, bring to a simmer until all the sugar is dissolved and the mixture thickened.
- Strain the Bantha Milk mixture into a glass jar, cool, and refrigerate for up to five days.
- Pull one shot of espresso. We want a strong, concentrated shot so a 25g brew is ideal.
- Pour the espresso, pineapple juice, orange juice, bantha milk, rum, and falernum into a cocktail shaker.
- Fill with ice and shake until cold.
- Strain into four shot glasses.
- Garnish with grated nutmeg, a blue pea petal, and some pineapple fronts for a festive look.
- Hand one to dad, and knock ‘em back together.
Cheers and Happy Father’s Day!
Recipe by Jon Choi @theheadbean