Smoothies are the “fast food” of healthy eating. They’re quick, convenient to put together, and can taste like any meal or dessert you can think of. Sippable fruit salad? Good. Filling five-minute breakfast? Even better. This Good Morning Smoothie is composed of breakfast ingredients, supercharged with espresso. It takes mere minutes to make, and should keep you full till lunchtime! We like our smoothies cool and creamy but not icy, so we’re omitting ice and using frozen bananas, which you can peel, slice, and portion in advance.
- 50g or ml espresso (brewed from 2 capsules)
- 160ml of your favourite milk (full cream works fine, but we specifically enjoyed Bonsoy’s Soy Milk for the extra nuttiness and protein)
- 2 medium-sized frozen bananas, about 200g
- 20g Rolled Oats, plus extra for garnish
- 30g Peanut Butter
- chocolate shavings or cocoa powder
- thinly-sliced fresh banana for garnish (optional)
Pull two short shots of espresso, and set aside to cool. Put your frozen bananas, oats, and peanut butter in a blender, and pulse them a few times to cut them up. Add the milk and coffee, and blend the mixture some more until a creamy, lump-free consistency is achieved. Pour into a 16oz glass (or tumbler if on-the-go!), and garnish with chocolate shavings, more oats, and some thinly-sliced bananas. Enjoy your super quick, supercharged breakfast!
Boost it even more: Add in 24g (1 scoop) of whey protein powder before blending for a huge protein boost! We find that plain, vanilla, or chocolate-flavoured whey works best with this recipe.
Recommended Capsule: The Espresso by Roastworks Coffee Co
Words & Photos by Jonathan Choi (@theheadbean)